Asbestos an issue in older homes

 In the 1980s it was discovered that inhaling asbestos fibres can cause lung cancer and its use in domestic  and industrial products began to decline rapidly.  There are two kind of asbestos: friable and non friable.  The friable is dangerous as it can release fibres into the air.  Friable is material that is easily crumbled, pulverized or reduced to powder by hand.  Older homes (pre-1980) may have asbestos and should be closely inspected. For more in depth information please see the CMHC site http://cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/search/search_001.cfm